Pages

Friday, August 27, 2010

Random Things That Make Me Happy - Part One

I have decided to start a segment on my blog entitled "Random Things That Make Me Happy." Honestly, I'm a pretty simple lady, and it doesn't take much to make me smile. The first installment of RTTMMH focuses on...babies.

Yes, I love babies. Please do not think that means I want babies (which, I do, but not now, notttttt now). Instead, it brings me joy watching, observing, and playing with other peoples' kids.

I am that person on the bus/train/sidewalk that has a huge smile plastered on her face and is waving her arms like a blatant idiot in an attempt to make your kid grin. I am that person oogling over bite size overalls and pea coats in Baby Gap. I am that person watching A Baby Story on TLC oohing and ahhing over pint sized newborns (and at the same time scared shitless at the idea of birthing a human being).

How can you not love a teeny, tiny, innocent baby? I can't help but coo over their pudgy little legs, soft, rosy cheeks, and toothless grins. And the sound of a baby laugh is enough to melt even the iciest of hearts. Oh and baby feet! Baby feet are undeniably precious.

Plus, kids really do and say the darndest things like suggesting you name your new puppy "Tractor." Or coloring the cat with pink magic marker. Or chopping off a large chunk of your mother's hair in her sleep.

However, I have also learned that there are times when you should not wave and smile at children...and that is when they have a super creepy father. Story time! It was mid December, and I was on my way home from my internship. I was standing on the subway platform feeling very jolly. It was my last day of the internship, and I was looking forward to a fun evening at the bar with friends. It was rather empty, and I glanced around and spotted a family.

A little boy looked at me and waved. I smiled and waved back, just being friendly. Then, the father appeared. He approached me and asked if I was married, which is when I knew this was going downhill. Then, told me that he needed a momma for his kids.

Okkkkkkkkkkkkk.

After a nervous laugh, I hightailed it out of there and vowed never again to make eye contact on public transportation.

However, the moral of this story - babies are still cute...even if they belong to creepy people.

No comments:

Post a Comment