Pages

Monday, June 21, 2010

Dad Knows Best

Even though it's a day after Father's Day, I think this is worth posting anyway.

I'm a Daddy's girl. Always have been. Always will be. I can't deny him, and he can't deny me. When I was born, my Mom took one look at me and announced she had to continue to have kids until one looked like her. I have his trademark blue eyes, sandy brown hair, and smile. We share the same sarcastic, yet goofy sense of humor. We are both stubborn and opinionated. We have the same mannerisms, so much so that I've been nicknamed "little Chris."

Probably one of our biggest similarities is our love for cars...and that love of cars is all his doing. Many of my memories consist of him clad in flannel shirts, work boots, and ripped jeans, leaning over the hood of a truck or peeking out from the underbelly of a car. As a curious kid, I always asked, "What are you doing, Daddy?" He answered in a magical language of mechanical lingo that left my head spinning. Wanting always to be just like him, I vowed to learn that language. As the years went by, I did learn (am learning).

His garage motto is "We fix," though that applies to everything from a broken carburetor to a broken heart. He is my biggest advocate and my number 1 fan. He has taught me all sorts of life lessons, like Listerine fixes all medical woes, beer is essential to any home repair project, and that all boys are evil, except for him and my Grandpa.

Dad also has lots of cool talents, like the ability to name the make/model of taillights and/or headlights on a motorhome, sing all the lyrics to pretty much any song from the 50s, 60s, and 70s, and do a really convincing impression of our cat, Gary. He appreciates the humor in Spongebob Squarepants, eats Oreos and milk every single morning, and can't decide whether Airplane! or The Sound of Music is his favorite film.

But most importantly, he loves my sister, Mom, and me with every bone in his body. And on this (day after) Father's Day, and everyday, I am so very thankful that he is my Daddy. I love you, Poppa Bear.

2 comments: