Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Dating Conundrum

I am known as a fairly impatient person. And when I saw "fairly," I mean "ridiculously."

Because of my impatient nature, I have always made things happen for myself. Why? Simply because I cannot wait for someone or something else to put things into motion for me. Thus far, my "go getter" attitude has faired well for me in all aspects of my life except one...my love life.

In our society, women are told to wait and be pursued. Social norms tell us that we cannot be the "pursue-ie." Let me tell you, that is a hard pill for me to swallow. In my life, I go after everything - jobs, friends, that great deal on a pair of peep toe pumps, and...men.

My dating life bears the brunt of this frustration. Things are generally fine and dandy until I decide to make me real feelings known. Why? Because I don't like waiting! If you like me and I like you then why the hell do we have to play games? Let's move forward.

On the other hand, if I like you and you don't like me and that kiss was just the result of one too many gin martinis, just tell me, so I can move on with my life. Let's not waste each others' time. This seems logical, yes? Well, whenever I consider testing this logic, I am told to sit and wait it out because men like the thrill of the chase. I feel this is the same logic that makes men drive in circles for hours and not stop and ask for directions. And that never turns out well, now does it?

Am I going to have to sit around - stalled on the freeway of love - forever? I don't think I buy the whole "wait for your prince to come" nonsense. If I waited to take the "bull by the horns" in every other aspect of my life, I'd be shit out of luck. So I ask you, dear readers, what's a girl to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment