Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

March Makeup Haul

I have decided to post a makeup haul blog. Anyone who knows me understands that I have an unnatural obsession with all things makeup. I love reading reviews on products and watching Youtube tutorials (how else are you supposed to achieve the perfect smokey eye?).

So, here are the products I've been loving lately(and spending the majority of my paycheck on - seriously though, it's a problem).


1) Clinique Advanced Concealer: I have tried a lot of concealers (currently there are four in my makeup bag) but this is my favorite by far. Why? Because it covers everything and has ridiculous staying power. I am notorious for picking my pimples to the point of scabs (TMI, I know). This stuff covers them all day long. I pat it on with a brush and add a dusting of translucent powder and VOILA! my pimple looks less nasty. However, word of warning: apply sparingly or else it can get cakey.



2) Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick in 'Warm Me Up': I bought this lipstick because InStyle did an article about makeup shades that flatter all skin tones, and this was one of them (FYI: the fact that I bought this lipstick is PR in action, my friends. InStyle - a third party source - endorsed this, and I purchased it. That was your PR lesson for the day. You're welcome). The color is a better, prettier version of your own natural lip color. The formula is hydrating and works perfectly with my new lip pencil (Clinique's Defining Liner for Lips in Nudey).



3) Lush Ocean Salt Scrub - Lush is a Canadian company that specializes in "fresh handmade cosmetics." The only store in the area is in Philadelphia, so when I was visiting a few weeks ago, I made sure to stop in. The scrub is an aqua blue color and is gentle enough to use on your face and body. It smells divine - a mix between a margarita and a tropical paradise - and is made with all natural ingredients. I use it twice a week and love how soft and smooth my skin feels.



4) Two Faced Shadow Insurance: This is eyeshadow primer...or liquid amazing-ness, whatever. People often scoff at the need for primer, however, if you want your shadow to stay and not crease, this is essential. Plus, this stuff is for real. My shadow and liner stayed picture perfect through a muggy, soggy subway commute. I arrived looking like I just crawled out of a sewer grate...though my eye makeup was still fabulous.



5) Hard Candy Baked Eye Shadow Duo in 'High Maintenance': Hard Candy used to be sold in speciality stores, but is now exclusively at Wal Mart. This eyeshadow duo is a combination of two metallic-y brown and copper shades. The lighter color shadow instantly warms up the face, and the darker color smokes out the creases beautifully. The duo is perfect for daytime - not too harsh and gives the perfect hint of shimmer.

4 comments:

  1. LOVE this blog post, Allison! You must keep up the hauls! :) I'll definitely have to get my hands on that Lush scrub - I'm obsessed with exfoliating products lately. Bath & Body works has an amazing lip scrub that I'm loving. And I've been dying to try the TF shadow insurance. I've been using Mac paint pots as my eye primer, but after an 8.5/9 hour work day, I notice creasing, so I might have to switch to the shadow insurance. Anyhoo, happy hauling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kalyn! Yes - the Lush scrub is amazing. Though I also want to try the Fresh Sugar Body Polish (it is expensive though!). Hmm I've never used any MAC products but Amarixe has me itching to get into a store. Glad to know about the paint pots - was considering purchasing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OBSESSED WITH OCEAN SALT. I'm almost out of my huge tub I got last summer and I'm dreading dropping $30+ on another. :(

    Like Kalyn, I use Mac paint pots as my primer. I don't notice creasing though, so they're my holy grail. Too Faced got kinda slippery and slimy on me, but works perfectly for my BFF. Go figure!

    My favorite MAC products are the paint pots, fluidlines (seriously... shit don't budge), Mineralize Skinfinish Natural (I use that over my tinted moisturizer and that's it!) and cream color bases (Hush under my blush makes me look glowy). WOO!

    I think I just outed myself as a makeup freak. You do not even want to see my makeup drawer. Yep. Drawer. I moved my socks for my makeup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly, I own zero MAC products :( The closest store is in Philly, which blows. Though I hear so many great things about thier products, and I'm dying to try something. I'm thinking the fludiline b/c I need a new liner (my Lorac pot is getting dried out).

    Also, I cannot judge, Sara. In fact, I applaud you. Glad to know us makeup freaks can join together :)

    Ladies - have you ever used any Bobbi Brown stuff? I'm curious and heard her stuff is great quality.

    ReplyDelete