Pages

Sunday, May 1, 2011

I Haven't Met You Yet

The past few weeks have been filled with friend and family gatherings. Per usual, the question is always asked of me, "Do you have a boyfriend?" Or when I was at a recent wedding, "When are you getting married?" Of course, the answer to these questions are a) I don't know or b) Someday soon, I hope.

I feel at 22 (ok, almost 23) that marriage is something that should not be remotely on my radar. I really do not feel like I am ready for that right now. I have a lot of other things (namely, career) that are taking precedent (as, I feel, it should). However, as I continue to see my friends and relatives with their significant others, I wonder who I'll end up with.

I lay in bed and wonder about him a lot. What will he look like? Will he have brown hair and blue eyes? Or red hair and green eyes? What's his favorite food? Does he like seafood? Is he allergic to peanuts? Have I already met him or is he still a complete mystery to me?

Will he like my family? Does he own cats? Where did he go to school? What stirs his soul? Art? Music? Money? Where will I meet him? At a hole-in-the-wall bar over cheap beers? Or through mutual friends on a summer evening under the stars? How old is he? 23? 25? 28?

How tall is he? Do I need to wear a pair of three inch heels to kiss him? What stations are preset in his car? Country? Rock? Jazz? Is he a bed hog? Does he prefer a firm or soft mattress? Does he need a TV to fall asleep or total quiet?

In any case, I hope he is wonderful and compassionate and funny and strong. I hope he is supportive and a good kisser and happy. I hope we complete each other. I hope we can dream and play and laugh together. I hope and wish and pray that he understands me...that we understand each other. And that together we make the most of this crazy life. In essence, I just hope we find each other.

So you, whoever, wherever you are, I'm here. And I'm not hiding. I'm not hiding, so please, seek me soon.

5 comments:

  1. "Meeting Your Half Orange: An Optimistic Guide to Dating" by Amy Spencer - amazing book that changed my life (as cliche as that sounds). You can read the first chapter on the book website: meetingyourhalforange.com. I've been recommending it to all my single gal friends for the last year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kalyn! I just ordered that on Amazon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will most definitely find each other. I can't tell you when, but I know that it'll happen. You're too lovely to end up alone. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, Sara! You are the sweetest! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to worry that the man of my dreams was walking past me on the street and I was just letting him go by. Or there he would be at a club or bar but I was too scared to talk to him. I wonder now how different my fate would have been had I actually talked to that guy on the train. But also now I realize that you have to let life happen to you too and trust in the fact that good things come to those who wait. I have messed up many things by not waiting.

    ReplyDelete